SITE NAME TYPE HERE

 

Upcoming Events (multi-day events listed under 'Notices')

Fri Dec 13 @17:00 - 19:00
Elderflowers Food Co-op at Eli's
Mon Dec 16 @09:30 - 10:30
Age UK Somerset - Yoga, stretch and flex
Mon Dec 16 @11:30 -
Join us for a Langport Health Walk
Tue Dec 17 @14:30 -
The Forget-me-not Memory Café at Sewers Village Hall, Curry Rivel
Tue Dec 17 @19:30 - 21:00
The Mid Wessex Singers – an invitation
Tue Dec 17 @19:30 -
Langport Flower Club
Thu Dec 19 @19:00 - 21:30
Karate

St Mary's Church

Nativity scene designed by Edward Coley Burne-Jones

St Mary the Virgin is the Parish Church of Huish Episcopi cum Langport. It stands at the end of Field Road having been established before the 1100's. The earliest physical structure visible is the south porch entry door. It has several historic architectural features; many are known worldwide. The tower is 500 years old and it was represented on a 9p postage stamp in 1972. The entry door is a classic Norman or Romanesque design with a zigzag pattern. The feature that brings visitors to Huish Episcopi from around the world is the Sir Edward Burne-Jones designed the stained glass window and it was made in the William Morris studio. This Victorian window depicts the Nativity of Jesus and demonstrates the art of one of the country's pre-eminent Pre-Raphaelite artists and exponent of the Arts and Crafts Movement.
St. Mary's is an active parish church with services every Sunday and in the week. It is part of a wider group of local parishes called the Benefice of Aller, High Ham and Huish Episcopi cum Langport. Every household in a wider area, including Drayton, Long Sutton and Pitney receive a monthly magazine called Roundabout which gives details of church activities, community events and the names of many local commercial businesses. With the growth of Huish Episcopi in recent years the established congregation is only too pleased to welcome new residents. Nearly all the new estates are represented with new members of the village coming from Huish Lea, Bartlett Elms and Kelway neighbourhood.

Sir Edward Burne-Jones Stained Glass Window

"The Angel" on Bow Street in Langport is our away from church location. It was one of the first coaching inns developed from the 1700's when Langport was on the route from Taunton going east. Today the Angel it is a major community hub and a café run by volunteers from Wednesday to Saturdays. Over £200,000 has been spent on upgrading the facility. There are meeting rooms that local organisations and individuals can rent throughout the week.

Communications for St. Mary's, The Angel and other local Church of England churches can be found through the website www.langport-somerset.btck.co.uk  The Benefice Administration Office is at the Huish Rectory opposite St Mary’s. The telephone number is 01458 251881 issues related to baptisms, marriages, funerals and the like can be discussed. Please call between 9.00 am – 1.00 pm Mondays to Thursdays.
All Saints Church, on the Hill, nearer the town of Langport was the chapel to St. Mary’s since around 1100. To this day it is part of the parish organisation, although run by the Churches Conservation Trust. Some of the parish services are located in this building. In its church yard is the grave of Walter Bagehot the famous constitutionalist and economist. His funeral service was at St Mary’s in spring 1877.

Please use the 'Read more' links below to access further articles.

 

 

  

This is a video depicting Fete Day 2017 starting with views from the Church Tower Roof and then of the Fete itself. The weather was doubtful in the morning but brightened up in time for the Fete albeit windy at tower roof level.

St. Mary's Church - Programme of Activities and Events -2016

Read more ...

St. Mary's Church - Programme of Activities and Events - 2020

Read more ...